Friday, November 12, 2021

Small things...

 In August one of our hens hatched out a single chick. That chick is nearly full-grown now. It's been fun watching the mama and chick pottering about the pasture. They are inseparable, and even though the baby is big now, if I peek into the coop at night I see that the hen has one wing spread protectively over her wee one. 

The chick does something cute. At least once a day I look out and see her perched on Spirit's back. 

Never on Bliss. Only on Spirit. As you can see from this photo, Spirit looks very happy with her pal on board. I think she's smiling. 

I feed the birds here and it brings me a lot of pleasure to see an endless parade of chickadee's, nuthatches, cardinals, woodpeckers, jays, and more flitting about and feasting on nuts and seeds. I keep the birdseed in a galvanized bucket with a tight-fitting lid on the front deck. First thing every morning, before I am even wide awake, I go out to give the birds breakfast. Imagine my surprise one day last week when I opened that snug lid and was greeted by this: 



They must have thought they had reached mouse heaven... until they realized they were stuck and there was no water to be found. I couldn't bring myself to smack their little heads in, so I let them go. I'm sure I'll live to regret it because they are probably dashing into the pantry to help themselves to Ritz crackers as we speak. 

Small things, everywhere I look. Some are more delightful than others. 


No comments: