Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Welcome to the world...

 Welcome to the world, baby girl!  

Last week my daughter and son-in-love welcomed a baby into our family. I am unable to find words to properly express the level of excitement and joy in my heart. I love babies. I adore my daughter. To be able to be a part of the life of my daughter's baby is a gift beyond belief.   

Her parents have given the matter great thought and wisely do not want their child "growing up" on the internet, but gave me permission to make an introduction. So, without further ado, let me announce my new granddaughter. 


Oh, wait. I must interrupt the story for a moment. 


The dogs are just as thrilled as the humans by this new addition. Bravo has a history of loving infants, and he is fascinated by this one. Opal instantly seemed to understand that this baby was hers. If the baby cries, she rushes to alert the mama, even if the baby is safe in daddy's arms. She does not want to leave the house without the baby along, and cuddles up close to her every chance she gets. I neglected to get a picture of Flirt with the new addition, but she is also completely smitten. Since the dogs are an important part of the family, it is an added blessing that they are on board with embracing our newest member. 

She roared into the world and was placed on her mother's chest. After a long, arduous labor, Rachel responded to greeting her new babe by instantly breaking into song... the same song she often sang while she was gestating. I am not a big crier, but I wept. This baby is cherished. 

Her parents took a bit of time naming her. Although Rachel and I had discussed names endlessly over the last 9 months, I didn't know what the final choice would be.  She tormented me by waiting until she placed the wee 6-pound bundle into my arms. 


It's easy to forget just how very tiny a newborn infant is. I thought I was prepared for just how small she would be, but I was not. I was surprised by her tiny feet and hands, her long fingers, her wee little ears. But my arms remembered how to hold such a minuscule human, and I was exactly as enchanted as I expected to be. I thrill with every breath that passes through her incredibly small nostrils. I am sunk. 


It is safe to say her new parents are also sunk. They are sleep-deprived but coping with this major life change with grace, teamwork, and deep love. It is inspiring to see. 


We are all in love. The dogs. The grandparents. The parents. And friends, far and wide, who have made wee hats (see above) and sweaters. Booties and blankets. Quilts and toys. Presents keep flowing in, all to welcome the gift of this bright, beautiful new spirit. We are so glad you are here, baby girl. We can't want to get to know you, Tempest Rebecca. 

No comments: