Sunday, January 23, 2022

Fond farewell...

 In 2003 Chris and I packed up our every worldly possession moved from Memphis to Maine. I felt fortunate to have secured a grooming job at a beautiful place called Yankee Clipper. I spent a happy 13 years there. We did some good work during that time and shared some epic laughs. The kind of laughs where those that wear eyeglasses take them off, tears flow, breath comes in ragged gasps, and everyone involved hopes there is no danger of needing fresh undies. Many of the funniest times came as we gathered over lunch each day. 

Liz, who owned Yankee Clipper, soon became a wonderful friend, as did Holly, who had worked with Liz for years, and Megan, whose first job at the tender age of 15 was there washing dogs. For the first week or two that I was there, we were all on our best behavior until one day, I dropped a colorful cuss word, and the rest of the gang heaved a sigh of relief and visibly relaxed. It all got more playful from there. 

As it happens, life changes and people move on to other ventures. A significant source of laughter was gone from my life. 


Liz will leave Maine in a few weeks and move on to her next chapter. So today, she, Holly, Megan, and I met for one last lunch. I was not disappointed; guffaws were heard at our table. It was nice to have the gang together again. 

There was a time when I didn't fret about saying goodbye to people. I was younger and thought I'd see them again. There was plenty of occasion! Age has taught me otherwise. I hugged a little tighter today as we ended our lunch. 

I hope I never forget the laughter shared. Some of the funniest times of my life were spent with this fantastic group of women. Each of them has blessed my life. I'll never forget that. 



No comments: