Sunday, February 13, 2022

Ice season...

 It's been icy for the last week or so. Every day we fight it, sprinkling ice melt on the walkways, sand or ashes on the driveway, spent shavings from the coops around the pasture to help me stay upright when I do chores. Chris tried to help me do chores Friday evening but couldn't manage because he does not have ice grips on his boots. I describe trying to walk out there like trying to navigate glass coated in cooking oil. Then we had a few warmer days. The ice on the deck all vanished, and it was warm enough yesterday to make cleaning the chicken coops pleasant. 


The ducks were pleased with the warmer weather. Thin puddles floated on top of the ice, and water dripped from the eves of the house. They found a few spots where the ground was bare, joyfully drilled their beaks into the softening soil, and stood under the drippy spots, letting the water run over their feathers. 






I assume the chickens are bored this time of year. They don't like to leave the coop much in bad weather. We bought them a Flock Block. A big, heavy, compressed block made up of seeds and grains. The birds seemed pleased. I hope it will keep them entertained for a while. 

The area around the woodpile is treacherous walking. I dragged a heavy sled around to it and filled it with logs, then slid it over the ice to the house. Chris handed them to me on the deck, where I filled the wood crib. The temperature is dropping again. 

There will likely be more snow and ice in the coming weeks. That is ok with me. I enjoy cozy times at home by the fire. Spring will come soon enough. 



No comments: