Thursday, February 3, 2022

What love looks like...

 When Bravo was new here, I took him to puppy classes. I met a woman there with a miniature Australian Shepherd. Bravo and her pup became friends. I went to her house a time or two for the dogs to romp together.  At her wonderful home, I saw her art studio and realized I was in the presence of an Artist with a capital "A." She began bringing her dog to us for grooming, and Rachel and I went to an art show she had. I wanted to buy one of her paintings but sadly could not afford one.

Every time we see her, she shows us pictures of her latest work. We are always in awe. 

She came in this afternoon and visited while we gave her dog a bath and trimmed him up. We chatted about her grandson, and as we were checking her out, one of us asked if she was working on anything fun just now.  "I just finished something. I'll show it to you," she said. Then she handed me a package wrapped in sturdy brown paper, taped well at the corners. 

It felt like a canvas. Dare I hope?  "For ME?" I asked, incredulous. "For both of you," she shrugged and smiled shyly. Hands trembling, I peeled the tape back. And then I cried. 

I am thrilled that she captured the look of adoration on my face as I cradled my then 5-week old granddaughter.  I'm dressed in my grooming uniform, black shirt and smock, and pearls, of course. The chair I am sitting in is in my grooming studio, a favorite spot to take a break as the sun streams in. The plant in the bucket over my shoulder? It's rosemary, and 4 years ago was a tiny plant at Rachel and Evans's wedding.  This portrait captures a little slice of my daily routine with a newly added armful. A gift like this? It's what love looks like. 





No comments: