Sunday, June 2, 2024

"And what is so fair as a day in June..?"

 We have had stunning weather the past few days—the kind of weather we dream about in January when the temperature plummets, snow falls, and the wind howls. I spent the day puttering in the yard, planting annuals, weeding, and running the weed whacker. Chris mowed and did some repair work on the deck. We find we take more frequent breaks than we did when we were younger, but we still get a lot done. 

These irises come from some that once grew in my grandfather's garden. My cousin Christin kindly shared them with me. It is even more special when the flowers in my beds tell a story or trigger a memory.

The cats were happy to be with me and monitored my actions carefully. 

Cheryl brought three cows over to graze the pasture for a few months. Moxie has been here for the past two summers and feels right at home. Miriam (lying on the left) and Espresso (on the right) are new but have settled in nicely. They make excellent eye candy out grazing in the meadow. 



The bantam Cochin hen and rooster have a clutch of 6 chicks that are also delightful to watch. Mama and Papa hen talk to them in special voices, calling them when they find a fat grub or juicy moth to share. The chicks follow Mama everywhere, and when they are tired, she plops down, and they all snuggle under her ample feathers. There is nothing cuter than seeing little heads pop out from under her wings and chest, peering about with bright eyes. 

The laying hens have also hatched two wee chicks and are sitting on more eggs, so our poultry population should be increasing nicely. 

Yesterday, Rachel and I took the grandgirls to the Fiber Frolic in Windsor. We have been every year for around the last 8, and it is such fun. Fiber artists set up booths, selling yarn and kits and amazing crafted items. There are always interesting food trucks, too, and herding demonstrations, things for kids to do, and even some livestock. The Owlet was tickled to see rabbits and sheep. It was a delightful way to spend the day. 


The sign for my business was damaged in a wind storm last year. I bought an old claw foot bathtub and put it at the end of the driveway instead. I plant flowers in it during the growing season, and in the winter stuff it full of greens. It needed something more, but I wasn't quite sure what that "more" was. Then, last week, Rachel triumphantly brought me the gold leaf scissors that embellished the sign at Yankee Clipper, the business I worked for during our first eleven years in Maine. I loved that job and the friends I made there, and I always had a thing for those scissors. When the building was sold, the sign remained, then eventually was removed. The scissors were left lying by the side of the road. I was too cowardly to scoop them up. Rachel knew I wanted them, and knocked on the door and asked if she could take them. She was given permission, and now they adorn my whimsical bathtub planter. They are not in great shape, but I will enjoy them while I can. 

We ended this weekend with something sweet. Ice cream from the local stand. Chris suggested it, and I said no. Then I had second thoughts. Life is short, and summer is fleeting. I enjoyed every bite. 



No comments: