Monday, July 22, 2024

How goats keep me busy...

 True confession. Our garage is a mess. It's where things we don't know what to do with go to die. And the things that belong there are not neatly stored. Yesterday, Chris and I worked for a few hours and cleaned half of the place. We store hay for the goats there, and we needed to remove all the old remaining bales and move the wooden pallets that we stack the hay on. We needed to rake and sweep up all the spilled hay lying on the floor and haul it away. 

This morning, I finished sweeping and got after the cobwebs in the rafters and walls. I also washed the windows on the now clean side of the garage. Then, I laid down a long sheet of thick plastic, carried in the now-clean pallets, and placed them on the plastic. I will be ready when I get the call that hay is coming. It all looks so nice, and I am now very motivated to get the other half clean and tidy. I'd show you a picture of the horrible half, but it would hurt your eyes. 

Meanwhile, while cuddling little Charm goat, who is five weeks old, I felt little horn buds on her wee head. The veterinarian had taken off her brother's horn buds during his first week, and the vet told me then that she thought Charm might be polled. That means that she was born with no horns. I was delighted. So it was a bit of a shock to feel the little horns growing all these weeks later. I messaged the vet, and she very kindly came over this afternoon. 

She gave the little goat a sedative, then injected around the horns with a nerve block. It was all over in a few moments. A shot was given to reverse her sedative, and within moments, she was back with her mama, having a soothing drink of milk. Her head boasts a silver "hat" of medication that will help her heal up. 
Before supper, I cleaned the goat cozy and gave the little herd their evening meal and some sweet, fresh hay. I locked them up because we've heard coyotes sing in the wee hours lately. I hung over the door, looking at them for a while, watching them nibble hay and shuffle around in the fresh shavings. My little goats bring me much joy. 
And much work. But they are worth it. 





No comments: