Monday, July 8, 2024

Arrivals...

 Last week, some much-anticipated visitors arrived. Chris's sisters, Brenda and Meg, Brenda's daughter, Lisa, and two of her best friends. Brenda and Meg bunked with us, while Lisa and gang stayed in a hotel in Camden. They came from Mississippi and Texas by way of a trip to Niagara Falls. Rachel and I couldn't adjust our tricky work schedule, so we missed out on some of the fun, but there were meals shared, babies held, lots of interesting conversations, and more than a few laughs. Of course, I trotted some goat kids out for photo ops. 

Lisa has an enviable core group of several close friends, and they often go on travel adventures together. Spending time with Lisa and two of the pals on this trip was a treat. After a few days poking around the mid-coast, they headed up to Bar Harbor for Independence Day. Brenda and Meg stayed here a little longer, and we certainly enjoyed the visit. It's always sad to say goodbye when they return home.

More arrivals came yesterday. Chris and I put a large dog crate in the back of my truck and drove an hour to the farm where all of my goats originated. The farm owner had told me she was selling a two-year-old doe this summer and would let her doeling from this spring go with her if I was interested. Though I didn't really need any more goats, I felt powerless to resist. We tucked Aurora and her kid (now named Meriweather) into the crate and headed home. They are both very pretty, and I am delighted to have them here. 
The resident goats have not exactly rolled out the red carpet for the newcomers, though I asked them nicely to avoid acting like mean girls at high school. There has not been any overt violence, but they make it clear that the new ladies are not welcome in the goat cozy. I set a calf hutch up next door for them to bunk in, and I know from experience that they will work it out, but for now, I feel very sorry for the new goats as they try to adjust to their surroundings. Aurora comes to the gate each time she sees me and bleats as if to say, "Ok, take us home now, please." 

They make a very attractive, colorful group, and it's a pleasure to see them together. I'll enjoy watching them become a cohesive herd.


All of these recent arrivals have brought us much joy. As summer continues, more guests are slated to arrive, but no more goats! Stay tuned. 

No comments: