Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Happy as...


A few months ago, during a very cold spell, my husband set up a kerosene heater in the basement to help prevent our pipes from freezing. All was well until shortly after he left for work, when the heater malfunctioned and filled the house with blue-gray soot. The walls, ceilings, windows, everything, had a dull cast of greasy yuck. My white poodle, not so white!
Long-story-short, we filed an insurance claim and this week the cleaning crew is here removing the soot from the building.
This means that I have taken every curtain down and washed them, every picture off every wall has been taken down, washed and stashed. I pulled all the furniture out from the walls and cleaned under and behind them. While I was at it I purged lots of things I no longer want or need. Chris took every single item out of our basement, so it can be cleaned as well. We have worked very hard.
Rachel said to me, "Mom, when this is all over and the house is pretty and clean, you will be happy as a duck!" The expression struck me as funny. She noted my mirth and asked, "What? Isn't that an expression?" I responded, "It is now!"
So, yes, as the house is going from grimy to sparkling, I am feeling tired but as happy as... happy as a duck!

No comments: