Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A quarter of a century, and more...

Yesterday I turned 49. And... my sweet husband and I celebrated 25 years of marriage. This means that I have now been MARRIED more years than I was single. And I am so thankful.
My wedding band is wearing thin, and his is scratched, scuffed and dull. I was a bit horrified to realize it is our silver anniversary. I remember thinking that people who reached their "silver" year, were so... so... OLD.

When I was 24, Chris asked me what I wanted for my upcoming birthday. I told him I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him. So, on my birthday, we eloped.

My college professor married us in his yard in the Blue Ridge mountains. The sun shone, the birds sang, and daffodils bloomed in riotous patches. I wore a tea length ivory dress, and high heels that hurt. As our minister spoke, my feet felt funny. Like they were not touching the ground. At first I thought my shoes were too tight, too HIGH. I glanced down, but all seemed well, my feet seemed to be firmly attached to the greening grass beneath them. Chris, holding tight to my hand, chose that moment to whisper to me, "Do you feel it?" I shot him a questioning glance. He repeated, "Do you feel it?" Then he added, "Are you floating too?"

To this day we cannot explain it, but at the moment that we were lawfully wed, we floated above this bright spinning planet for a moment. I like to think it was a sign, a message that our vows were right and true and meant to be.

Yesterday I began my 50th year on this beautiful earth, and 25 years with the love of my life.
Sometimes I think I am still "floating, too."

2 comments:

Jeannine said...

Wesley and I spent what seems like hours in the People's drugstore, reading sympathy cards aloud to each other and belly laughing...people *looked* at us !!! happy anniversary and happy birthday!!! ~Jeannine~

An Open Heart said...

What a beautiful story.....big crocodile tears. Happy Birthday and Happy Anniversary! Bless you both!
Shannon