Thursday, February 24, 2011

5 rhythm dance...



Tonight I joined a new friend and did something different. Something pretty far out of my comfort zone. In fact, way, way out! I went to something called 5 rhythm dance and for an hour and a half stretched and moved and danced and stomped and swayed and writhed and wiggled in a room filled with strangers doing similar stuff, (only they did it better.) There was sweating and general wild free-spiritedness. It reminded me of a blend of yoga with a large dash of 9th grade high school dance. At the beginning the instructor told me, "all you have to do is breath and move." I replied, "I can breath!" Turns out I can sorta move, too.

After a day sitting still and working on an upcoming speaking engagement, all that sound and movement was exhilerating. And after feeling cold for weeks during this long, icy winter, I was burning with heat from the inside out. I danced right out of my comfort zone.

No comments: