Sunday, February 20, 2011

Signs of spring...

 



Although the snow drifts still reach almost to the bottom edge of the stop sign at the corner, I have been noting signs of spring. So far:
The chickadee's are singing their spring time song (instead of "chick a dee dee" it is "Fee-bee.")
The days are much longer! (over an hour more of light.)
I saw a flying insect on Friday, (the poor thing was doomed as the temperatures plumeted this weekend, but it made me glad to see it there, hovering over the snow.)
The Cedar Waxwings have been here, decimating the crab apples, (see header! They are so pretty.)
The birch trees have begun to blush... their upper branches are taking on a reddish hue as the sap begins to rise.
People are talking about tapping maple trees. Syrup time is coming!
And my chickens? They are laying up a storm. I collected 8 eggs in todays happy treasure hunt.

We are expecting more snow tomorrow but it is unavoidable, spring is 'rounding the corner and soon the granite earth will soften and life will renew again.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

solarity said...

Flying insects: there was a bee (!) in the bird feeder yesterday when I brought it in to refill it. I took the feeder back out when I figured out what the buzzing noise was, and the bee flew out, but when I hung the filled feeder back up, there it was, flying round and round it. I hope it went back to its hive before the temperature fell at dusk. I don't think that's a sign of spring. More of a sign of craziness.

Mary Anne in Kentucky