Monday, March 7, 2011

Coming home...

 


I attended a favorite trade show in Atlanta, Georgia this weekend. When I left Maine in the wee hours of Thursday morning the temperature was -4 degrees. Later that day when my plane landed I was greeted by rows of pear trees in full bloom around the airport. I was hot in my light jacket. There were daffodills and pansies blooming in front of tidy storefronts. It was a taste of spring and I drank it in. The weekend was busy- filled with fun and excitement. I saw old friends, met new friends, worked hard and enjoyed it to my core.

It was a little sad to leave. Then there were travel delays and airport food. There was a bumpy flight and luggage that didn't find it's way. But waiting for me when I landed was my husband with a toy poodle snuggled in the front of his jacket to greet me. There was companionable chatter on the long ride home in the darkest of downpours. And then we rounded that last corner and the lights of home were spilling out on the ragged snow. Drowsy dogs greeted me joyfully. The house hugged me... fresh flowers in old bottles dotted the tables and windowsills. Chris and Rachel had cleaned the place till it shined like a bright penny. In the early morning hours I snuggled into the comfort of my own bed with my beloved and listened as the house sighed and creaked it's quite time song. There was restful sleep and the thrumming joy that exists wrapped in that simple 4 letter word... home.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Rain said...

Oh yes -there is no place like home! After 7 long weeks traveling down south-driving up and passing the "Welcome to Maine" sign was the highlight of my trip!! It was so nice to visit family and friends-but even missed the snow and cold-but not the ICE!! Welcome home to you too!! Love your heading photo!

Daryl said...

Welcome home! No place like it... despite the long and wild winter.