Sunday, May 15, 2011

Dedication...



When I got the wild idea to add two Muscovy ducks to our mini farm a couple of weeks ago, my patient husband was on board. The day we were to get the ducks he went to the hardware store and got supplies needed to build a little duck house. Then he spent a good part of his day planning, designing, measuring and cutting a nice shelter for the new additions. The project really needed an extra pair of hands, and I was at work. He picked me up from work and we drove to get the ducks, not arriving home until late. And mean while, the flu from h*ll moved into my body.
For the following two weeks I have remained sick and fundamentally useless, and Chris has worked 20+ hours of overtime both weeks, late evenings and all day on some weekends, so the duck house remained in pieces. The ducks didn't seem to mind. They could bunk in the lamb lodge or in the spacious chicken coop if they wanted, but they seemed perfectly happy to nap under the picnic table or just in the middle of the lawn. I've been worried that a night-time predator would scale the fence and have some tasty duck snacks, but so far, so good.

Meanwhile I've been watching the ducks when I have a chance. They are quite dedicated to one another. Belle, the hen, wanders about, looking for bugs or succulent sprounts to eat, and Elvis, the drake, follows her. He never lets her out of his sight. If he finds a treat to eat he huffs at her and shares the morsel. They sleep side by side, sometimes resting their heads on each others backs, looking for all the world like they are cuddling.

I woke up this morning just certain that I would be all over my virus. My virus laughed. So after sitting up for a bit I took a hot shower, waved my white flag of surrender and climbed back between the sheets. The dogs thought this was a fine idea on a rainy day and joined me. Five hours later I woke and heard hammering.
I looked outside and there, in the cold rain, was Chris- building me a duck house.
He was drenched, his clothes sodden. His tools were wet, the wood was wet,his hands and cheeks were red with cold- but he had this determined look on his face. He knew I've been worried about the ducks at night, and he was finishing this project no matter what!

Finish he did. I guess he didn't want Elvis to be the only dedicated husband on the place! I cleared a spot next to the chicken coop and we set up cinder blocks to elevate the new duck house a bit. Muscovies like to be up a little off the ground, we have learned. I found an old blueberry box in the garage and stuffed it full of clean, sweet hay for a nest box. I sprinkled fresh shavings on the floor and put a pan of duck food in the house. The ducks were watching, and within moments Belle had jumped up to have a snack and investigate.

When the weather clears I'll paint the house so it matches the coop. Meanwhile, I hope the ducks find this a fine place to start a little family. I know I will sleep better at night knowing they are safe and snug in their cozy new digs. And I will revel in the knowledge that my kind, talented, dedicated man went the extra mile to build this little place so another loving couple would be safe and cozy.

2 comments:

Rain said...

Oh-what a guy-valuable beyond words or money can say!!--I have a similar one so I know! My guy sputters about my chickens sometimes - then turns around and brings me home a new better feeder for the little ones the other day! Hope you're feeling better soon-and that at least u can read while you're laid up!

Sean Patrick said...

Your one lucky duck!