Sunday, May 22, 2011

If I could give one bit of advice...



If I could give one bit of advice to people who are choosing a life mate, it would be this. "Choose a mate that has a sense of humor." When I look at the high and low points in the last 26 years of marriage, I can clearly see that it is a lively sense of the ridiculous that has smoothed over the rough spots that come to everyone.

In this photo, Chris has just sat down at our beloved picnic table with a nice rib eye steak he has grilled. Bizarrely enough, Lilly the ancient boxer is sitting there, like a small, striped human, and she is eyeing his steak with ill intent. Some people would have a fit, smack the dog, yell, be in a huff. Not my man. He has a chat with the dog,(who is deaf as a post!) and later put an onion ring between his lips and shared it with her. We shared a laugh and enjoyed our meal.

Both of us share an appreciation of the absurd, and it has served us well. So well that when I woke this morning to the slanting light of dawn through the wavy glass of our bedroom windows and realized that my beloved was holding me tightly in his big arms, my very first thought was, "This is just as magical and wondrous as it was when we were new." I laid my hand across his furry face and drifted back to sleep, awash in the awareness of how very, very lucky I am. There is so much good... but the humor is the seasoning that flavors it all.

1 comment:

Cheryl and Phil said...

What a wonderful picture of sweet Lilly, the Bad, Bad Boxer, and sweeter Chris, the Good, Good Husband! Did you snap a pix of the onion ring moment?
Glad you're feeling better - despite the evil virus, you live a life fully blessed! Miss you!