Monday, August 1, 2011

Harvest du jour...

My friend gave me this very funky old egg basket. It is perfect for fetching the produce in from the garden.
I have never grown zucchini before. Of course I've heard how prolific this plant is, but it is a bit astonishing to see how many squash a plant produces, and how FAST. So today, (after gifting some to my favorite neighbor) I am going to grate up some of these and freeze them, and make a creamed zucchini soup I found a recipe for. Tomorrow night? STUFFED squash!

Recipe:
1 onion
Garlic to taste
Oregano
Salt/pepper
2 lbs squash
cream
Parmesan or blue cheese

Saute onion and garlic in some olive oil. Add chunked up squash, salt/pepper and oregano. Add water to cover squash and simmer until tender, covered. Uncover pot and allow some water to cook off. Puree mixture then return to pan and add cream to desired consistency. Stir in cheese and serve with crusty bread. (I am making focaccia!)

ADDED NOTE: I made the soup and it was BORING with a capital B. So I added salt, LOTS of fresh cracked black pepper, some cayenne and a bay leaf. It is now quite good!

No comments: