Monday, November 7, 2011

The world, she is...


 My husband, daughter and I just returned from a magical weekend in Quebec, Canada. The people of Quebec speak French as a primary language, so though it is only a 6 hour drive from our home in Maine, it feels quite exotic to be there.  We loved the wording on the can of sardines above, "Fish She is Very Small."  The world?  She is very small, too. 
 And very beautiful.  The area called Old Quebec City is like a slice of Europe.  Copper roof tops, cobble stone streets, wrought iron and ancient brick work were eye candy. 

We sampled Poutine, a Quebec favorite dish that features French fried potatoes covered in gravy and cheese curd which squeaks when you bite it. You can add other things, if you wish, such as bacon or sausage or... well... most anything.  We are going to have to learn to make it here, too.




We stayed in the home of our friends. They offered us the warmest, most gracious hospitality.  The first night we dined on Couscous made by their friend (and our new friend!) from Algeria.  Another amazing woman from Germany joined us for the feast.  So it was 3 Americans, 2 Canadians, a German and an Algerian all at the table.  As we ate and talked and laughed I couldn't help but look at this bunch of us; a blend of languages and cultures and experiences, all joined together because of... pet grooming.  I could never have imagined that my passion for grooming dogs and cats would take me to the places it has.  On Sunday my friend and I gave a seminar on cat grooming to 16 women from all over the province.  Our work was well received and I think all of us had a good time.

If I could have looked through the key hole to my life and seen the bright kaleidoscope of colors that would ebb and flow to create the wonders I experience, I never would have believed my eyes.  I can hardly wait to see what happens next!

No comments: