Thursday, January 5, 2012

Oh the excitement of my life! It is probably a bit more than you can imagine, but I simply must share. Today the mail lady brought me... worms!
250 of them, in fact. They were cold. And hungry and thirsty. But I tucked them into the wonderful Vermicomposter that I got for Christmas from co-worker Cassie. (It was JUST what I wanted!) I had plenty of food in there for them, and snugged their new home near enough to the wood stove that it was cozy. Well, as cozy as a bin full of damp, shredded newspaper and sphagnum moss and partially rotted vegetables can be. I gave them a drink, as instructed, and covered them up under some damp newspaper. After a while they began to stretch and wiggle. They looked... happier, somehow. I keep peeking. If all goes well the happy worms will eat up much of our kitchen waste... carrot peels, old potatoes, celery leaves and such. And they'll turn it all into marvelous compost for my garden. It's going to be great. So, now you can see why I was SO very excited today when the mail lady gave me worms.

1 comment:

Rain said...

A true country woman! I can close my eyes and see all the beautiful healthy compost for this spring!! But I still cant bring myself to get worms! Good for you!! :)