Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The way my mind (doesn't!) work...

When we brought our baby piglets home the first week of June they were 6 weeks old and weighed about 25 lbs. or so. I know a little bit about pigs, from reading and because a good friend of mine has raised them for the last few years.
We put them in a big pasture with deep grass and a nice boggy area that pigs would like to wallow in. I knew that wherever I put them they would "root" with their noses and dig up the dirt, leaving the place looking like a mine field. I knew they would roll in the mud to keep cool and ward of biting insects.
I knew these things but somewhere in the deep, dusty recesses of my funny, fuzzy head, I believed my pigs would be different. They'd be TIDY pigs. They'd leave the pasture un-plowed and eschew mud for, perhaps, a little dance under the sprinkler.
Much of their pasture IS still tall grass, but they are diligently working on one corner to make the mother of all pig wallows. The odd little part of me that thought these pigs might be different is appalled. But the rest of me breaks out in spontaneous grins when I see the piglets deep in mud, grunting in delicious contentment. I have happy pigs.

No comments: