Friday, July 27, 2012

Silly corn, revisited...

I come from a long line of corn on the cob lovers. In our family we anxiously awaited the season for fresh corn, and once it arrived we had it often. My father could eat 3 or more ears at supper, a feat I greatly admired. It was often my job to husk the corn, and that was a labor of love. My mother would boil it, and we'd rub butter over the hot ears, then sprinkle with salt and enjoy. This has been good enough for me my entire life... until my niece Aimee introduced me to what we call "Silly corn." We named it that because it so good it is just plain silly. I've posted about this before, but in case you missed it, I feel I must share again. What you need is: fresh cilantro, mayonnaise, lime slices, salt or something like Adobo seasoning (my niece uses paprika), very fresh corn Grill the corn, turning occasionally, until it is a bit browned in spots. Brush with mayonnaise, sprinkle with cilantro, squeeze fresh lime juice over the whole thing, sprinkle with salt or Adobo. I can't quite describe it, but there is something about the grilled corn, the sharp herb, the lime... oh, your taste buds will do a little happy dance when you try this, I promise! To me it is the taste of summer. I grew a whole patch of cilantro in the herb garden this year so I could enjoy silly corn any time I wanted.

No comments: