Monday, August 6, 2012

Weekend...

I work on Saturdays and have Sunday and Monday off. I love Saturday nights... free time stretches before me like a promise. This Saturday after I did my chores I plunked myself down in a lawn chair with a glass of cheap chillable wine on ice in a mason jar. Before I knew it one dog curled up under my chair, another hopped up in my lap, two more wandered about nearby. Taco the buckling came and laid beside me, and Chanel the pony grazed close by. Chris snapped this photo and I am so glad.
Chris joined me with a tall gin and tonic. A warm breeze was blowing and we had some quiet time to chat together. Then Luna goat and Taco decided to investigate what Chris was drinking. They LIKED it. I got to laughing... a good, long, wipe-your-eyes kind of laugh, watching those silly goats drink. Chris, nonplussed, shared then continued drinking, undeterred by a little goat spit. He is a patient, patient man.
We added a new little brown duck to the farm this weekend. She is as yet unnamed. It is a rather long story, but we had three adult ducks, then added another and a lot of fighting and unhappiness broke out. I gave the two trouble maker ducks to a friend, and then the new addition duck vanished. Belle, the remaining duck was a lonely creature. So my friends that I gave ducks to let me have a "pick of the litter" duckling that had hatched this spring. Belle is delighted. She spends all day showing her new friend around the place. It makes me smile to see how happy they look together.
There is a glut on the lobster market right now. Chris brought home 4 lobsters for $20. Not much more than buying a pizza and some bread sticks! We enjoyed a wonderful supper at the picnic table, watching the sun go down.
We had what Chris likes to call, "dinner AND a show!" watching the livestock graze in the high grass, wild birds flitting about, chickens pottering around eating bugs and scratching in the grass. Finally the mosquitoes drove us in, ending a lovely evening to begin our weekend.

1 comment:

Sean Patrick said...

The first photo Chris took is the one we'll see on the back flap of the bookcover for your first Best Seller.