Friday, August 17, 2012

Routines...

The animals here have recognizable routines, if one cares to watch for them. In the morning I am up early. The dogs and I head out, and first I open the coop. The chickens flood out in a feathered stream. Belle the duck heads in to lay her egg. If I am a few moments late she meets me on the deck, slapping her broad feet on the wooden planks and fussing at me in shrill tones.
Next I milk the goats. They know the schedule and meet me at the gate, "baa-ing" in excited anticipation. The warm, sweet-scented milk hits the stainless bucket with a rhythmic hiss. The goats munch on alfalfa pellets and grain, and if I listen even a little bit I can hear their stomachs rumbling in appreciation of the meal. After the milk is filtered and stowed, all the water buckets are topped off and the pigs and poultry fed. I reluctantly tear myself away so I can shower, dress, pack a lunch and head to work. Before I leave I take a little stroll around to make sure all is well. Most mornings I find Chanel the pony lying in the sun just as shown here. She looks totally content. I head off to work knowing all the animals are fed and cared for and happy. That makes me happy, too.

No comments: