Monday, August 27, 2012

Tangled webs...

In late summer the meadow is often shrouded in mist as the eastern sun slants through the trees. The morning dew and mist coat everything... especially the hundreds of webs artfully woven by the creepy, yet oddly beautiful, orb spiders. I always take a moment to admire the loveliness of the webs. I try not to think about what I know is lurking near each and every one.
These are not tiny spiders... they have huge, bulbous bodies and legs that make me shudder. Some of them span a couple of inches across. I remind myself that they eat lots of bugs. And I walk carefully in hopes I never come into physical contact with one. EW! On a less leggy note... I found a delightful surprise when I collected eggs last week.
A lovely little blue egg! It looks pretty nestled in with the toasty shades of brown. Soon my new Leghorn's will begin to lay and I'll have white eggs, too. That will make for a pretty carton full of colors.

No comments: