Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Feeling the love...

A man I went to college with recently put the following post on his Facebook page: "Tell ya what. If you ever forget how much you're loved, just start unpacking all those Christmas ornaments people've given you over the years. Oh my God. Life is good." And so it is. My tree was semi-naked for about a week. I had lights on it, and a few of the crocheted snowflakes pictured in the previous post. It was so simple, so pretty, I nearly left it that way. But I was rummaging through a box of ornaments looking for one I wanted to attach to a wreath I was making, and the memories began to scroll through my brain like one of those grainy 1950's home movies. There are a handful of decorations from my childhood,one from my long ago boyfriends grandparents,a few from college friends who have long lost contact with, a small box full from our first married Christmas. Then the "babies first Christmas" ornament, a wee bassinet with a blond baby in it that was gifted to my by sister Deb when our daughter was born. The ones from customers whose dogs I groomed nearly 30 years ago,(and still remember!) ones from neighbors at various places we have lived. The hand made ones from my precious friend Betty Sheetz Rohrbacher made me stop what I was doing to go get a tissue. She died too young and I miss her too much. There are hand painted kitties made by my niece, and a coffee filter angel created by my daughter in Montessori school. My favorites are hand crafted, some by new friends here in Maine. So, my very simply decorated tree is now a jumble of ornaments gifted over the span of 3 decades. It is a glowing reminder that I have been well loved, and that yes, life is so good.

No comments: