Monday, September 10, 2018

A happy little project...

Several years ago, when we had some work done to the house, the construction guys cut a hole about 3 feet square in the upstairs wall at the top of the stairway landing. They needed to do this so the electrician could have access to the space behind the wall to put in a bunch of new wiring.  They left the hole open for a long time, and when they finally came to fix it they made a really ugly patch out of plywood, trimmed with hideous molding. I've hated looking at that patch for a long time.  I've been keeping my eyes peeled, looking for a piece of furniture that would hide it.  Whatever I put there would have to be tall, but not too tall, because there was a window over the patch. And narrow, because the banister for the stairway is in front of it.

Last month I happened to find just the thing at the Union Antique Festival. This annual event takes place at the local fairground, and is one of my favorite summer destinations.  I found this cabinet at the very first place I visited. I plunked down my money and asked them to hold it for me while I shopped.  When I got it home I put it in the garage, because it needed fresh paint. It was painted a grimy putty color, and the inside had old, ugly, contact paper on some of the shelves. The whole thing was pretty dirty, too. I think it had been in a house with people who smoked, because when I washed it the water that came off looked suspiciously nicotine laden.

Today I put it up on the picnic table bench, and got my paint out.  It was a bit more of a project than I anticipated, but the weather was fine and the work pleasant. Here is a "before." Sort of. I had already begun to paint the inside when I remembered to snap a picture.

I was going for a fresh, cottage, look. 


To my joy, the cabinet looks as good as I imagined it would in the space I bought it for. 

I have begun to put things on it, but it will be a work in progress.  I'd like some pretty folded linen's, tablecloths and such here, as well as a few decorative bits. The sun is going down and shining too brightly in the window, but I was in a hurry to post this, and too impatient to wait to get a better picture. This has been a happy project and I am pleased with the results of my efforts. I am especially glad that the ugly patch in the wall is now totally hidden. 







No comments: