Sunday, March 3, 2019

Here and gone...

 
Yesterday we were gone a while. After working almost every Saturday of my adult life, I take special glee in having most Saturdays off now. We ventured to Belfast, a sweet little coastal Maine town. It boasts the oldest shoe store in America, among other attractions.  
 

Our goal this trip was to visit the Farmers Market. It is held every Saturday, but we've only been there once. We were lured there especially because a friend had told us about special donuts. And though we have been dieting hard for weeks, the description of these donuts had us yearning to give them a try. They are made with potatoes as a key ingredient, and our friend told us about how light they were, moist and delicious. She regaled us with the list of flavors, cinnamon sugar, coconut, chocolate ganache, maple bacon, and more. 

We met Rachel and Evans there. I had kept their Opal puppy the night before because they had a late date, and I was to return her to them. I had enjoyed several hours of excellent pug snuggles (see below) while she was in my care, it was bittersweet to turn her over to them. She is a sweet, fun, pup, and I am enjoying every minute with her.

Once inside the Farmers Market, it was great fun to look around. There were vendors everywhere we looked, selling things like locally made ice cream,cheese, local meats, jewelry, stationary, crafts and more. And the donuts. They did NOT disappoint.


One booth that really caught my attention was covered with the most beautiful array of mushrooms I have ever seen in one place. My picture didn't do it justice. I wouldn't begin to know what to do with any of these, but maybe next time I'll buy some and experiment.

After the market we ran a few errands, and stocked up on groceries for the week. This is usually Chris' job, because its a chore I loath but he enjoys, Still, occasionally I join in. I snagged some tulips... and am glad.


Once back here I was entertained to see that Sarah had been enjoying her freshly cleaned Donkey Dorm.



She loves to indulge in a good roll when the shavings are fresh and sweet. The goats are still in coats, and with a new storm due to blow in tonight, I expect they'll be wearing them a bit longer.
 
 
 

Despite the wintery weather, the hens are starting to lay the occasional egg. This hen left her roomy coop, traversed across the icy back yard to the wee coop the Silky chickens live in. She then wedged her very large body through the snug door of the coop, and laid an egg. When I discovered her in the small coop, she had eaten all the food, drank all the water, and refused to exit or walk back across the snow to home. So I gathered her up and gave her a ride back.
 
The hens are looking very fit, and I am hoping we'll soon be deluged with eggs. I've been telling them about stew and cacciatore, trying to encourage them to up their production through lightly veiled threats. They seem unimpressed.
 
We had a light snow over the night, just a dusting, to frost everything and make it sparkly and pretty.
 
 
Bravo loves the new snow, and had a good romp in the pasture while I was doing chores. I love to see him running flat out, spraying an arch of snow behind him as he races. And when he pauses he takes my breath away. Such a handsome boy.
 

Here and gone. I enjoy both, (especially those donuts,) but here is best, after all.
 



No comments: