Monday, July 29, 2019

Lazy days...

On Saturday Marion, Rachel and I got together to make a batch of tiramisu. It is one of Marion's favorite desserts, and this was a little early birthday celebration.

We had mimosa's, a little local goat cheese and crackers, and good conversation while the results of our efforts chilled. The dogs held me down.

Then we tasted the tiramisu and found it to be quite nice. But we agreed that perhaps we should practice again, and again, until we get it "just right!"

Sunday Chris and I decided to do an early beach visit, and were there by 9:30. The place was empty, the tide was high. I finished my book, took a walk in the sand, picked up and put down a myriad of shells and stones. Then I spread a towel on the sand and let the sun toast my back a while. We took a swim and another stroll. Just like that, two hours had passed. Hours filled with the sound of surf raking over rocks, the scent of salt water and wild roses, and a cool breeze whisking away the heat of the sun. It felt like my batteries were being recharged.

We stopped into a favorite place for lunch, then home for a peaceful afternoon.  Later we went to our favorite farm stand and got the first sweet corn of the season, and a couple lobsters.

Some storm clouds were rolling in from the west, but we had time for supper at our weathered picnic table, a summer feast after a lovely day.

And then today, after chores and cleaning out the donkey dorm and goat cozy, I did a little writing. And some goofing off.  I tidied the house. Then Rachel, Evans and Opal came over. The day was hot and humid, and we planned a swim. Our sweet friend had extended the offer for us to visit her beautiful nearby camp on a lovely lake. We have not been yet this year, but I've been looking so forward to it. Today was the day.

Bravo headed right into the water.  Flirt stood on the dock and looked concerned. Once I was in the lake, I took Flirt in my arms and lowered her hot little body into the water.  She liked it. I let her swim a little, and she didn't hate it.In general she is not a fan of getting wet. Meanwhile, Bravo was paddling about with gusto, happy as could be. He would swim to me, then go to shore, come back to me, paddle around me, go back to shore, repeat. I swear he had a grin on his face.

Little Opal, in her life jacket, swam from human to human, from shore then back. In between she and Bravo wrestled and played. The air around the camp smelled like those balsam pillows sold in tourist shops. Sunshine sparkled on the rippling water, and we embraced the lovely solitude for a happy hour.

On the way home the dogs were tired


Greeting me in the garden was this lovely, the frosting on the cake of sweet time off.


Three delicious, lazy, summer days, filled with sun and rest, delicious food, summer delights, and fine companionship. The sort of days one might remember in January, when the temperatures plummet and cold winds blow.

No comments: