Sunday, July 21, 2019

Summer Sunday...

The grooming studio was extra busy this week. We opened early, we worked late. We have a waiting list, and every hour was packed with pets. The weather was toasty, the pace brisk. When I woke this morning and realized it was Sunday, I was glad. I had two dogs visiting, and grand-pug Opal was here for a "spend the night," so I took care of all the dogs first thing. Then I let the poultry out, and filled their water pans and wading pool with cold, clean, water. The donkeys and goats had a little breakfast.Next, I hit the sofa with my laptop for some greedy quiet time. It was lovely.  Around 9:00 I got up, showered and pulled on a bathing suit, then covered it with a dress.  One of the visiting dogs went home. The other got a nice walk. It was getting hot, the thermometer nudging 90.  Chris and I packed a cooler with cold drinks, grabbed two folding chairs and headed for the beach. When we got there the parking lot was nearly empty. The crescent of beach was open, the tide low. We walked to a solitary spot and set our chairs up. Books in hand, toes in the sand, I felt the tension release from my shoulders. The sound of rippling waves curling over pebbles soothed me on some deep, elemental level. Children laughed and shrieked. Mothers and fathers dipped toddlers in the sea like animated tea bags.


Even at the height of summer, the beach was fairly deserted. It was much cooler here, with a lovely breeze.

I asked Chris to use his long arms to take a "selfie." When I looked at it I was aghast at the wrinkles around my eyes. Then I decided they were all his fault, he's kept me laughing for the last 35 years.What could be better?  And look at his eyes. Have you ever seen anything kinder? 

Right off I tested the water. It felt icy cold, even just washing around my ankles. So I sat and read, and after a while I began to get hot. I waded in waist deep. Every small, rippling, wave, made me gasp as it reached higher on my body.

I gave up after the water reached belly high, and retreated to read more. I decided I was being a wimp, and tried again, braving the chill and finally diving, head first, imagining I could hear the sizzle as the sea closed around my head. It was fabulous.

The sun was high and we had no sun screen, so we skedaddled off to Rockland for lunch. Claws is a fun eat-in-the-rough spot we enjoy. It boasts nice views...

And what they dub, "Vacation Sized" glasses of wine, (16 oz.), local beer, and cute plastic lobsters to keep track of each order.

Chris had an oyster po' boy, and I tried lobster taco's. They were tasty.
As we drove home, a torrential rainstorm surrounded us, dropping the temperature around 20 degrees. There was a delectable afternoon nap, then Chris grilled chicken which we enjoyed in the shade of the back yard.  Our Sunday is nearly over, and we are both relaxed, refreshed, and ready to take on another busy week.

No comments: