Saturday, June 11, 2022

Big, small stuff...

 When the large animal veterinarian was here a few weeks ago, she said, "If you get more goats, don't get Saanens again. You should consider Nigerian Dwarfs." She explained that they are very hardy (my Saanen have had some tricky health problems), and she insinuated gently that their smaller size would be more manageable for me to handle as I age. She knew a woman with a friendly herd that might have a doe or two for sale. 

I shot off a query, and before you could say "baaa!" I had agreed to buy two does in milk. They would be ready to go to a new farm in mid-June. Today was the day. I borrowed two crates from Marion and Chris and I headed on a goat adventure. 

Though I have seen Nigerian Dwarf goats in the past, I never paid much attention to them. I couldn't quite imagine how they compared in size to my big, chubby, full-sized goats. It was a fun surprise to arrive at the farm and have pint-sized goats trot up to greet us. They were much smaller than I expected and incredibly sociable. Especially one named Myrtle the Menace. She ran up to Chris and flopped on her side like a Golden Retriever, begging for a belly rub. There were nearly 30 goats in a rainbow of colors, dancing about, snoozing in the sun, nibbling on grass. It was more fun than any amusement park. 

We had the goat cozy set up so they could have a little privacy and meet the other animals with gates and windows between them. 

Please allow me to introduce the newest "kids" at FairWinds. On the left is Grace. Posing in the bucket is Plenty. The tiny photo bomber in the back is Glory, the two-month-old daughter of Grace. To my delight, I found that Grace has blue eyes! Glory's eyes seem to be a blend of blue and brown; I'll get a better look tomorrow, she was a little stressed by the move, and I didn't want to push her. 


Spirit and Bliss are fascinated. 



The cows are most interested in the new arrivals. They stop by the window often, huffing and staring in. The goats don't seem to know what to make of them. 

The Owlet seemed to like them, too. 

I am silly excited about the new arrivals. I hope they will be happy here, and provide fun, laughs, and lots of sweet milk for us to enjoy. 


No comments: