Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Worth the wait...

 I was absolutely sure that the new grandbaby would arrive before its December 28th due date. Second babies often do, and I was convinced this one would, too. I was wrong. The due date came. Then it went. As did six more days. I was on edge; the waiting was hard. 

On January 4th, my daughter called, "I think today is the day," she said, and she was right. I was at work grooming. In no time at all, I heard a ding on my phone telling me I had a message, and there was a photo of my precious daughter with a rosy newborn on her chest. "It's a girl," the caption said. I'm not naturally a crier, but I stood at the grooming tub and sobbed. I cried with relief that all was well and joy at welcoming a new granddaughter. 

By the next day, they were home in their cozy house. We had kept the Owlet with us while they were in the hospital, and when we took her home, she busied herself around the living room, casting shy glimpses at her mama holding the wee babe. Finally, she climbed up beside her mother and gently opened the blanket covering her sister. She took in the tiny toes, the wee waving hands, the cap of dark hair, and the minuscule face with a look of total wonder. Then she snuggled into her mother's arms. And just like that, the baby was calmly welcomed into the fold. 

My daughter's husband arranged to take eight weeks off to celebrate the arrival. He has been cooking, cleaning, and doting on his family, making everything run smoothly. I popped in tonight after work. My daughter, the baby, and the Owlet were cuddled up on the sofa. There was a charcuterie board with lots of goodies cut just the right size for a toddler to enjoy. A moment later, my son-in-love delivered each of us fancy drinks. Tall ones for Rachel and me, a wee one for the toddler. Crushed mint, limes, seltzer, and a wedge of pineapple. There was even a little one for the Owlet.  We had snacks and sips, and I cuddled the baby and kissed her fragrant cheeks. Soft music was playing, and we had a jolly chat while we watched the Owlet play and the baby (who I think I shall refer to as The Cygnet) kick, blink, yawn, and stretch. It was magical. 

A healthy new family member to love. She was worth the wait. 





No comments: