Sunday, March 17, 2024

Mail...

 A few weeks ago, I received a special envelope in my mailbox. It was from my older cousin Karen, who lives in Tasmania, Australia. She has been sorting through old correspondence and family photos and sending items off to various relatives who she thought might find them interesting. My envelope had a few photos and many letters from my father to his brother (her father) during World War II. 

It made my heart ache a little to see his familiar penmanship, and it was fascinating to read his words to his older brother. It gave me a pang to see that the two were obviously once very close. In my lifetime, they were little more than cordial neighbors. 

One envelope held a special delight. It was a tiny piece of stationary and a letter written from my father and mother to my uncle. They were on their honeymoon at Easter Slopes Inn in North Conway, New Hampshire. My uncle was somewhere in the Pacific. The date was December 28, 1945. In my father's thin, sloping hand, it says, "Dear Pete,  This is all the paper I can find, but I want to send a line or two and say hello. Dot and I were married on the 26th and are here for a week. It is wonderful up here; so far, married life is wonderful, and I am sure it will continue to be so. I've got me a wonderful wife. Sorry for such a lack of writing on my part, but I have been so busy, and after writing so much for four years, it felt good not to for a while. Will do better from now on 'tho. Our car runs well but uses oil to beat hell. I get to 50 miles. It may do better after it has run for a while. Hope so. Well, Pete, we wish you had been here to be the best man, but we couldn't wait. All for now. Dot wants to say hello. Hope to see you soon. Dave." 

Next comes my mothers addition. Her penmanship is round and loopy and pulls my heartstrings. "Dear Peter, We waited so long we decided not to wait any longer- much to everyone's surprise (I don't think.) Being married is certainly wonderful but it makes me feel so old and respectable. Seriously tho', I'm so happy I'm walking on air. It's heavenly up here and a perfect place for a honeymoon. We will hate to leave I know. I hope you can come home soon, Pete. We all miss you, Love, Dorothy."

Here is evidence of the beginning of my history, my newlywed parents on their honeymoon, "walking on air." They stayed married until death did them part, my father never failing to kiss my mother on his way out the door to work in the morning. I grew up feeling safe and secure in their union, a blessing I don't take for granted. The inn where they celebrated their life together is still there. You can see it here: https://easternslopeinn.com/  . Chris and I plan to spend a weekend there soon to walk the grounds my parents walked and acknowledge this moment in my family history.  

My kind cousin sent me a chubby envelope full of yesteryear. I am so grateful. 



No comments: