Sunday, August 28, 2022

Change...

 Aristotle said, "Change in all things is sweet." I've been taking steps to make a pleasant change here of late. 

When Chanel pony came to live here, we hired a man to build a "run-in shed." this was a sturdy 8'x10', 3-sided shed. Chanel liked it, but I later wished it were more enclosed to give her better shelter during winter storms. Meanwhile, a couple of goats had come to stay, and I wanted them to have their own space.  Chris and handy neighbor Fred cut a doorway in the shed's back wall, extended the roof 4 feet, and enclosed the space. They cut a nice window in, and the goats immediately claimed the area as their own. While the men were at it, they built a wall for the front of the shed, making it much cozier. To my surprise, Chanel also liked to get in the new room, even though the space was cramped quarters for her, so narrow she could not turn around, and with a low ceiling. I bartered with a carpenter friend, and he built me an excellent sturdy wooden arm that I could fasten so the goats could go under it and access their room, but the pony (and later donkeys) had to stay out.  We later added an additional gate so I could enclose the goats when needed. 

But times have changed, and there are no longer a horse and donkeys to fill up that larger room, just 5 goats, and the front area is plenty big enough for all of them. I looked at the small space in the back in a different light. After the new Nigerian Dwarf goats arrived this spring, I swept it out and put their little milk stand in there. It is wonderfully convenient to milk there rather than lead each goat out of their house, through the pasture, across the yard, and into the garage for milking. But the room was lacking in décor. The pine walls were weathered and dark, the space unwelcoming. I asked my friend Sunday if she would be interested in putting a coat of white stain on the walls, and she agreed.  She soon worked her magic, leaving the space bright and clean looking. 



I continued to noodle around with ideas on how to make the room more efficient. I ordered a particular feed container that the animals cannot open even if they manage to breach the gate. This means I don't have to lug grain out twice a day. Win!  I needed something to put milking supplies on. After a quick rummage in the garage, I unearthed a weathered shelf someone had gifted me. My son-in-love hung it in easy reach of the milking bench. Sister Deb gave me a pretty valance curtain she no longer needed. Chris brought me the perfect curtain rod, and I was delighted to hang it this morning. 


The stud on the back wall is a work in progress. I have fastened a pretty statue of a lady with a dancing goat gifted by a sweet friend. I also plan to put some flickery battery-operated candles on timers there. Since there is no electricity, Chris gave me a strand of solar lights, which we will hang from the ceiling beams, and they will cast a cheery glow from dusk till dawn. 




There is enough room that I can store a few bales of shavings and a bale of hay there, making chores in lousy weather much more manageable. It's been a few months of plotting and a little work, but now I have a joyful and valuable little space to milk my goats and store supplies. 

A sweet change, indeed. 

No comments: