Sunday, August 7, 2022

Simple pleasures...

 In the dead of winter, when the snow is piled high, I often yearn for summer evenings in the back yard. It seems a simple pleasure, grilling something,  then sitting around the fire ring and listening to the evening sounds. The chickens crooning, wild birds calling, goats muttering to themselves. It's a peaceful time and Chris and I enjoy the calm quiet of these evenings to a ridiculous degree. 

Yesterday Rachel messaged me picture of some funky vintage outside chairs she found at an antique sale. It was love at first site. Now those chairs are snuggled up to the fire ring. I enjoyed rocking in one tonight, and now I will add longing for them to my winter dreams. 

We have delightful guests. Angel and Fields, (mother and daughter) who were once neighbors in Memphis. They are the kind of company that make themselves at home, and go over and above when it comes to being helpful. I feel like I have kitchen fairies doing my dishes and helping with meals. Fields even helped milk a goat. Angel oh so kindly chipped in on the fabulous new yard chairs. 


We also have a pug visiting while her family is at the beach. We are having a heat wave and Pugs struggle in hot weather. This Pug has a plan for how to cope. 

We have been casting about for a name for the new little Cochin rooster. Chris suggested one I rather like. 


Introducing... "TheDonald!" The pullets will be dubbed, "The Donnett's." Here is one, with a shoe for comparison of size. These are tiny birds. 


We took the Owlett for a swim this week. Her parents ordered her a wonderful float that she took to immediately. We all bobbed about in the water for a relaxing time as the sun went down. 


Later there was fresh local lobster and corn on the cob. A feast. The Owlett made an excellent centerpiece. 

Memories made in the back yard in the summer, maybe they are not so "simple" after all. 


No comments: