Saturday, August 13, 2022

Day "off"...

 Today is one of those lovely ones where nothing pressing is on my calendar. I got up early, milked the goats, did all the animal chores, then came in and puttered in the kitchen. I drained and chilled the milk, tidied up the refrigerator, took out the compost, and made myself some peanut butter toast. Then I made a batch of Chevre (goat cheese.) It's been a few years since I've made any, and it was fun to find a likely-looking recipe and get to it. It's easy enough to make. I gently heated a quart of fresh milk until it was 180 degrees. Then I added some lemon juice and white vinegar. The chemical reaction is instant; the milk solids separate from the liquid whey, forming soft curds. After letting it sit for an hour or so, I poured it into my special cheese bag, and all the whey dripped out into a waiting bowl. An hour later, I mixed the remaining solids with minced garlic and formed it into a rounded shape. I poured a little good olive oil over it, put some fresh basil around it, and tucked it into the fridge. It should be tasty tonight with crackers and a glass of wine. 

Even though my new little Nigerian Dwarf goats produce a fraction of the milk the big Saanen girls used to, it's still more than enough for me to make delicious yogurt, cheese and have milk for recipes and table use. I am delighted with these new girls! 

Two tiny pumpkin leaves sprouted in the middle of the backyard lawn two weeks ago. It was brave of them to struggle through the sod, right in the mowing path. Chris and I both admired their gumption and left them. Chris wondered if it could set fruit and have it ripen this late in the season. He was astonished to see how fast it grew. It is rapidly taking over the yard. 

We hoped it would be some fun variety, and we check to see what is happening under those broad leaves daily. 

Here is a withering blossom with a tiny fruit attached. 

Today I was tickled to find a little white pumpkin nestled in the grass. I hope we get a bumper crop to decorate with this fall. 

The morning was cool and lovely, perfect for cleaning animal houses. I got them all clean and swept and bedded with bright shavings. That always feels good. 

The coop could use a fresh coat of whitewash, but that is a project for another day. 

Last week was a little tiring... I had a horrible cold, and work was tricky. This quiet, blank-slate Saturday morning was just what I needed to recharge. I love a day off. 

No comments: