Monday, September 19, 2022

Many things...

 We had a busy weekend. It started with me looking out the window as I milked goats and thinking, "the grass is growing tall. I hope Cheryl's cows will come back." She took them to greener pastures once they had grazed our pasture down. After the field was mowed, we had rain, the grass grew, and I was happy to think the cows might return.  This weekend, I got a message that the cows would be delivered Sunday morning. I did a little happy dance. 

They hopped off the trailer and were led through the backyard to the pasture. 

They settled right in, eating and eating and eating some more. I love looking out the window and seeing them. All of us often quote the movie Twister by saying, "We got COWS!" 

Deb came for a too-short visit. I've mentioned before that she has said her retirement job is to be helpful to people. She is on track!  She brought a fall wardrobe for The Owlet and helped Rachel organize the baby's bureau, sorting too small and out-of-season clothes and filling the drawers with cozy seasonal outfits. I had a hard job; I snuggled the Owlet while she napped and watched as Deb and Rachel held up one adorable garment after another. 

Then Deb came back to my house. As I started a second batch of tomato sauce, she organized my two messiest kitchen drawers. She took everything out, cleaned the drawers, and added a new liner. Then she tried to put in the excellent new organizers she had kindly brought from The Container Store. I had carefully measured the drawers before she bought them. They measured 18 and a bit inches. She got the pretty new organizers, designed for 18" drawers, but they didn't fit, to our horror!  Deb was confident she could make them work with the assistance of a meat mallet. 


This photo is proof that we are sisters. And that we are our parent's daughters. And it makes me laugh. (No, it didn't work, but the organizers were nicely repurposed.) We are determined women, for sure. 

She ran to the dollar store and made magic happen. I wish I had a "before" picture, but I don't. The after images shine, though! Before she was here, I could never find the tool I needed. 


In her spare time, Deb has been volunteering at a thrift shop that raises money for visiting nurses where she lives. Our mom also worked at this shop; those nurses helped our parents in their dotage. Deb often sends me pictures captioned, "Need this?" I DID need this, but she had to work hard to convince me. I'm SO glad she did. It was a lovely $35 investment. 

I love when Deb visits. We are working on a surprise and had fun doing some plotting today. I will post more when the time comes! I hope her next visit will be longer. 



No comments: