Sunday, September 25, 2022

Woven...

 Here we are, on this spinning planet, all interwoven, especially in our families. I have been blessed with wonderful family members, and I know how lucky I am because not everyone has close, warm, supportive relatives. 

Niece Aimee visits us every few months, which is always a treat. Recently she gave my favorite old footstool a hard look and said, "I could give this a new top." I was resistant. The piece was shabby but light, easy to move from place to place, and oh so comfortable. 


When Rachel was pregnant, she'd prop her feet up on it every time she sat, and when the Owlet was born, Rachel would use it when she nursed. Of course, I used it, too. I looked at it differently after Aimee suggested it needed a facelift. It took me a while but finally, I let her take the precious piece home for a bit. We missed it. (The above picture is a "before" when she was getting ready to remove the tired old top. Inside, she found a small plastic doll shoe, which I posted about previously, several silver hair pins, and a lot of dust and dirt.)

This weekend she brought it back. She had given it a fresh coat of paint, a little gentle distressing, and had begun to weave a new top. She brought it unfinished, so I could see the process. On this lovely fall day, she and I spent a few hours side by side. I was starting a new knitting project, looping yarn over needles to create a blanket, and she was finishing weaving a pretty new top for my shabby old friend. 

She used white rope, and it was an upper body workout for her to thread and pull and work the rope into place. 

The finished product not only looks fantastic but is more comfortable than it was before. 

The Owlet, as usual, spent the night with us Saturday night. She woke up, smiling and cooing. Chris took her downstairs while I showered and dressed. When I came down, this is what I saw. 

My sweet husband lying on the floor with the Owlet, playing. They were both happy. Generations, interwoven.

I did chores, then Chris fed us a breakfast of pancakes, bacon, and sausage. It was a lovely family day; all of us strung together beautifully. 




No comments: