Monday, September 29, 2008

Ladies...


When I was a little girl my dad told me that someday he'd buy me chickens, and turn my old play house into a coop for them. He never got around to it, despite my begging. So, for 40 years or so, I've been wanting chickens. I decided I had waited long enough and this summer added 4 Silver Laced Wyandotte's to our menagerie. They are named Henrietta, Chickita, RoBirda and Layah Rufflebutt. Also know as "the ladies." I get the biggest kick out of watching them hunt for bugs, and listening to the funny chicken noises they make outside the kitchen window. If I had known I would get this much enjoyment out of some "yard birds," I would have gotten them sooner.
When I decided to go ahead and buy chickens, I did some research, and chose this breed with much deliberation. They are large birds (6-8 pounds) and are good year round egg layers. They are docile, and very cold tolerant. That last bit is handy here in Maine. I also think they are just lovely to look at. Many people buy their chickens from large hatcheries. Normally there is a minimum purchase of 25 birds, and I only wanted a handful of hens. I fretted and stewed, wondering how would I ever find this particular breed and be able to just buy a few. One day I decided to do some detective work. I called a woman I knew from a writers group that I used to attend. I remembered she had chickens. She gave me the number for the secretary for the mid-coast poultry association. I called her, and in about 30 seconds flat she gave me the number for a man who raises this type of bird, and lived less than an hour from my house. Within about 10 minutes I had lined up the purchase of the ladies. Isn't networking wonderful?
To make it even better, I told friends of mine about my plan, and they generously gave me an old ice fishing house they were no longer using. Chris and I spent a happy day converting it to a cozy coop for the girls. I am (very) anxiously awaiting the arrival of the first eggs. It should be any day now. Ladies... let's get on that!

1 comment:

Brenda said...

Please don't let your ladies hear that you are "stewing", bless their gentle souls.....
Miss you guys