Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Gifts that keep giving...

I have been wanting to raise turkeys for a while. On my March birthday my sweet daughter gave me a frozen turkey in a bag. It came with a twinkling grin. She promised to buy me turkey poults when the time was right.

In June, 4 turkey poults arrived. They were tiny and loud; much like baby chickens but with bigger eyes and a nosier, noisier nature.

Fast forward to now. The poults look like Emu's that got shrunk in the wash. And they are the most curious creatures! If I am out in the yard they are near me, watching what I do. If I sit a while one will end up sitting beside me, or on my leg. If we have supper at the picnic table some of the babies sit with us. We should not encourage this but they are so cute we can't help it. We slip them a snack or two.

In this photo two turkeys are sitting on a log with two baby chickens the same age. The turkeys are growing in leaps and they bring me great delight. They are, truly, gifts that keep on giving.

No comments: