Saturday, July 2, 2011

Translucent moments...


A friend of mine lost her only daughter, 19, in an auto accident. I can't get that family out of my mind. Many years ago I worked in a nursing home. I don't think I will ever forget the first deaths I experienced. What surprised me was that when a person died, the world kept on going. Time continued to pass, people maintained their schedule's and agenda's. I felt as if there should be something to mark the magnitude of the loss of life. Because the passing of one life affects the lives of so many others. I felt that the world should pause- or something- at the moment of the passing.

But the world doesn't work that way. So I have come up with my own method of commemorating treasured lives. I do it by trying my very best to enjoy the small moments... the fragile, translucent, floating seconds that fill up our days. Like shimmering soap bubbles they are here then gone-- gone in an instant, but celebrated while they were here.

This is the only way I know to have any hold at all on the treasures of life.

No comments: