Sunday, September 23, 2012

Something to celebrate..!

I got one of those phone calls yesterday. The kind that made me shriek, then laugh, then cry just a little bit. Aimee, my precious niece, will be marrying Tim, of whom I most heartily approve as a life mate. When Aimee was born I drove a straight 15 hours from Lynchburg, Virginia to Georgetown, Massachusetts so I could meet her. I fell in love. Hard. Her mother, (my sister) was beyond gracious. In the ensuing months she let me drop in to her house any old time. She let me wash the baby, dress the baby, hold the baby and best of all, strap the baby onto my chest in a cozy front pack and go for long, long walks. I was at a restless phase of my life, without direction and feeling unhinged. I would walk with that wee child against my heart and sing to her and talk to her and try to figure out just where I was going. I kissed the top of her fragrant head so much that my sister joked I prevented any hair from growing. I fell in love again with my sister, too. Suddenly she was someone new and different. We moved from being siblings to being good friends. That has been a gift, as well. So when I heard that special Aimee and wonderful Tim are embarking on the greatest sort of of life adventure that there is I was beyond happy. I wanted to break out party hats and horns that toot! (This photo was taken last year at my sisters birthday celebration.)

No comments: