Sunday, January 6, 2013

Capturing magic...

On my sixth Christmas I was given a Flexible Flyer sled. There was snow that day, and I remember my siblings and I going outside to play with our new toys while my mother readied for the onslaught of relatives who were coming for dinner. Belly-down I descended the small hill closest to our house. The sun was shining, and I vividly remember that when my sled came to rest I could see the snowflakes below my face, perfectly illuminated. It may have been the first time I ever realized how each individual flake was so perfectly and uniquely shaped. It dawned on me that the thick blanket of snow I rode on was made up of layers upon layers of miniscule, perfect crystals. I wanted to capture the image of them somehow, but could not.
This morning, while I was doing chores, huge, feathery flakes began to fall. I sat for a long time and watched them landing on my horses back. The warmth of her body quickly turned them from angular flakes to rounded water droplets. She was unconcerned, and concentrated on her hay.
I returned to the house for my camera to see if I could capture the perfection of the flakes this time. The chickadees whirred around me as I snapped up pictures, calling to each other with glad voices.
A happy time was spent alone, focusing on the beauty around me.

1 comment:

Jeannine said...

I love that you have grown the attention to detail that I love so much