Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Small town, big kindnessess...

When we moved to Maine almost 10 years ago, one of the people we met very early on was Vick, the owner of the local hardware store. I think I have blogged about him before. The very first time we went in, we introduced ourselves. A few days later I was back to pick up something... a shower curtain liner, a trash can, some cleaning supplies, birdseed, or such. As I walked in Vick greeted me, "Hi Daryl!" Moving from a large city where I was virtually anonymous, this friendly shout out resonated so deeply to me that I never enter the store without remembering how good it felt to be recognized, warmly, in a strange new place. As the years have passed Vick and his totally adorable, talented, fun and charming wife Shanie have grown to be lovely anchors to our lives here. Going to their store is always a treat, and if they don't have what we need they can order it for us. (This photo is one of them I found when I Googled their store.) Tonight after work I had a splurge appointment. I went for a manicure and pedicure. When I came out of my hour and half long appointment there was an inch of fresh snow on the ground. Wet, heavy snow. Slippery snow. This didn't excite me, because the pick up truck I drive is HORRIBLE in the snow. I drove slowly, carefully towards home. All was well until I reached the first big hill, and then I was fishtailing all over the road. It was a white knuckled drive, every hill scarier than the last. I knew there were several bigger, more frightening hills between me and home. I told myself, "If I get to the hardware store and their gate is open, I am going to stop there." Normally they fasten gates at the end of their driveway at closing time, and I was about an hour past then. Through the falling snow I could see... wide open, welcoming gates. I skidded into their driveway and parked, heart pounding. I knocked on the locked door, and they let me in, welcoming more warmly than I deserved, showing up after hours. I explained my plight. They offered to drive me home. I explained that my husband would be along in moments, but asked if I could leave my truck there until the roads were plowed. "Of course!" they said, as if it was no trouble at all. I helped unpack boxes while I waited for my sweetie to come get me. Shanie and I chatted happily. She made me feel as if I was not imposing in the slightest. So tonight, my truck is in their lot, and I am home and safe. It is warm here, the wood stove is blazing. But the warmth of the kindness of friends is better still.

No comments: