Sunday, September 8, 2013

Seasons change...

I am not through with summer, but there are signs that it is through with me.


A few bright leaves are showing up on the lawn, glowing like jewels on the emerald grass.



The marigolds echo the colors of the autumn leaves, warm and bright. We've had a few chilly nights, where we pull the quilt up high and are glad to have it.

Every fall I scour the countryside looking for white pumpkins to decorate with. I love to pair them with other autumn decorations. Something about a moon colored pumpkin makes me happy. This spring Chris kindly started some seeds on the porch, and when the danger of frost had passed he tenderly placed the seedlings in the garden. Today we took a peek and there under the huge, spreading leaves were several lovely white pumpkins, bright and round under the tangle of vines. I can hardly wait to harvest them.



The apples on our tree are ripe and ready to be turned into pie or crisp or rosy apple sauce. I toss some to the chickens and rabbit, and they devour them happily.

These are all signs of summer winding to a close, too soon!

1 comment:

Rain said...

I'm not ready with summer either!!! Only a few miles north east of you and nights and morning are pretty nippy!! Hubbs had the pellet stove flaming away this morning!! Too soon!!!! Love your photos though!
Rain :)