Tuesday, December 10, 2013

The best gift...



This photo is of my husband, Chris, when he was a cute little boy. Now he is a cute big boy. He was born on December 11, which means that as I write this, it is his birthday "eve." And this gets me to thinking.

The first thing I think about is the story he told me about having a birthday so close to Christmas. It is heartbreaking, brace yourself. He told me that for his birthday he'd get one or two small gifts; things like new socks and underpants. His parents would say, "Christmas is coming." Then at Christmas he'd get a small toy and a sweater, and if he was disappointed his parents would admonish, "You JUST had a birthday!" I've spent the last 29 years trying to make his birthday a little special. I'm not sure if I have succeeded or not, but I digress.

The real purpose of this post is to say that 55 years ago Chris' parents created for me the most precious gift imaginable. I am certain they had no idea, when they looked down at his new little face, that he would someday mean the world to someone. Some Yankee woman still unborn. But that is what they did, they created the man that would become my husband.

And that has been a gift they never planned to give. Let me tell you a few things about this boy they raised. If it snows, he cleans off my truck before he goes to work. Every Sunday after he takes our refuse to the transfer station, he stops to fill my truck up with gasoline. I literally don't remember the last time I put gas in my vehicle. He does all our grocery shopping, because I hate to do it. He wakes up every morning, looks at my wild haired, aging self and says, "You are so beautiful." He cooks. Really well. And he eats my cooking with no complaints. I am not lying when I tell you that in the 3 decades we have been together he has never once raised his voice to me. Patience? He embodies it.

When I dream up something I want to do or create, he plants his size 13 shoe on my backside until I make my plan come true. He works hard to support his family, and has had a lot of really horrible jobs that he went to every day for years with no complaint.

And let me tell you what a sweet father he is. He took our little girl on "Daddy/daughter dates" for years when she was small; opening doors for her, treating her to her every hearts desire, conversing with her like the young woman she was becoming. I can't find the words to convey his sweetness with her as she grew. And beyond.

The baby born 55 years ago has grown to be the most wonderful man. Smart, kind, funny, hard working, creative, thoughtful, romantic, cuddly, sweet, generous and just in general fine. Every December, a bit before Christmas, I am reminded that I have the best gift ever. The gift of sharing my life with Christopher Kevin Conner. I thank his parents often for the blessing beyond measure. I have the best gift.

No comments: