Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Blogging challenge...

Starting today I am embarking on a 30 day adventure called the "Magic Up Your Blog Challenge." Topics are given and the intention is to encourage more writing. Since I've been slacking in the blogging department, this appeals to me. I hope it will appeal to you, too.

Today's topic is to write about a favorite quote or a motto.

The first quote that popped into my fuzzy head was one that I heard on the radio several years back. I loved it when I heard it, and have adopted it as a motto of sorts. It is this: "Do your work as well as you can and be kind." I've never had a motto before, and never thought I'd need one. Then one day I was at a housewarming party at my niece and her husbands new place. A sweet young couple I had never met was there with a tiny dog. When they found out I was a dog groomer they seemed excited. One of them asked, "Do you have a motto?" I'd never been asked such a thing, (have you?) My brain froze for a moment then I said, "Why yes! Yes I DO!" They nodded in approval when I tripped the above words neatly off my tongue.



Lately I have been working hard as I designed and helped create a space to groom in our home. It has been a journey spanning about 9 months, and in a way it feels as if I conceived and grew and birthed this project, so the 9 months feels quite appropriate. I have tried to be kind as I worked... baking for contractors and plotting on how to make this space a place where pets would be comfortable and feel safe.

Now is the part where amazing things will happen. I am putting my faith in that, and am grateful and delighted each time the phone rings, and every time someone comes here with their beloved pet. What is exciting for me is that after 30 years of loving my work, I am finding new energy and enthusiasm for working with animals and their people.I can hardly wait to get out of bed each day to spend time in the lovely space and do my familiar work in a marvelous new setting.

When I heard that quote one morning those years ago, I could not have imagined how the future would unfold. Fate has been kind.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

You know something. I don't have a motto. You have just inspired me to find one that suits me.

Anonymous said...

If I have a motto, it's this quote from Martha Graham:

"There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique. If you block it, it will never exist through any other medium. It will be lost. The world will not have it.
"It is not your business to determine how good it is, nor how valuable it is, nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open."

solarity said...

I've never thought I needed a motto, or a mission statement, or whatever the in thing is. I just do my thing.
I'm looking forward to this challenge; I always enjoy what you write.

Mary Anne in Kentucky