Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Chanel's big adventure...

Chanel is 31 and pretty sedentary, as horses go.

She rarely moves at any speed faster than a walk, and if she does break into a trot, it's only for a few steps.  But last weekend she had a little adventure.

I had let her into the back yard so she could do a little grounds keeping for me.  She is a multi service provider; she mows, edges and fertilizes!  She was happily going about her work when daughter Rachel and her fiance came over.  Chris hurried Evans out into the garage, because he wanted to show him the rockin' new speakers he bought for the upcoming wedding.  Evans left the "people door" open for a moment, and just then Chris hit the button and the electric garage doors rolled up.  Chanel, being a bit nosy, slipped in through the people door and out through the garage doors.  I was in the house, but just coming out, and there  my wondering eyes  saw my horse and my Bravo pup merrily crossing the street in front of our home.  Bravo is very rule oriented, and he knew that the horse was NOT doing what she should, so he was hot on her heels. I am pretty sure I uttered a cuss word or two.

Chanel tossed her head with glee and headed for the large, open field across from us.  She trotted in big, bold steps, head up, snorting with the exhilaration of being free. "GET SOME GRAIN!" I ordered to the men who stood there looking helpless.  I hustled to grab a halter and lead rope.  I hustled to get some grain in a pan.  Chanel strode up the side of the road. Then she came back to the yard to look over the fence at her "herd," the donkey and goats.  Then she tossed her head again and headed back across the road at a brisk pace.

We don't get a huge amount of traffic on our road, but the vehicles that go past tend to travel at a rapid rate of speed. Having a loose horse dashing back and forth across the road was not a good plan.

Chanel is deaf, so she could not hear the grain rattling in the bucket I held, but finally, she saw it, and stopped dead to indulge in some delicious food.  Rachel slung the lead rope over her neck, then while I held it she slipped the halter over Chanel's pretty face.  She didn't care. She had grain.  After she polished off her tasty treat she happily followed me back through the gate and into the pasture.

I was glad that she was safe and behind the fence.  But I have to admit, it was lovely to see her dashing about, lovely and free.  Striding her big, bold strides, and tossing her head gleefully. 

When it was all said and done she retired to her cozy for a nice nap.  Big excitement for an old pony.

No comments: