Monday, October 2, 2017

Today's mission...

Today's mission... run several million errands and get a lot of things done.  Mission accomplished!
We had the final fitting for Rachel's wedding dress. She looks like a goddess.  My eyes leaked. The seamstress was just incredible... so kind and talented.  We have met so many nice people on this journey.

We picked up hot cups for the mulled wine, coffee and cider, and paper cups ( everything biodegradable!) for beer. Biodegradable forks for wedding cake, too. Then we got some pretty, decorative, paper hand towels for the rest rooms.  A couple happy hours were spent with a make up artist at Rheal spa, where Rachel and I both picked up some goodies. Including waterproof mascara for me, because I am pretty sure I'll cry at some point during the wedding. There is a story about that.  Months ago I was putting mascara on one morning and I thought to myself, "I need waterproof mascara for the wedding." Then I thought, "No I wont. I am not going to cry. I am happy that she is getting married."  A moment later I envisioned Rachel walking up to her groom with her sweet dad.  And I BEGAN TO CRY. I am not a big crier. Then I laughed at myself, for thinking I would not be emotional when my only daughter marries.  Later I told Rachel the story, and asked, "Will you have your dad walk you?"  After all, she is strong, modern, woman.  She might not buy into the old traditions.  She gave me a hard look, then replied, "Actually, mom... we've always done everything together. I thought I'd have you both walk me." More tears. Yup,  $30 waterproof mascara for me.


 We went to Loyal Biscuit and bought toys for the dogs, for no reason at all.  A brand new antique store opened, and we had to check that out.  We got tea lights and paper doilies (to keep candle wax off the rented table clothes) and a new chain for the necklace Rachel will wear on her special day. A little lunch out. A visit to TJ Maxx where I found some pretty fall wreaths to decorate with. Then to the farm stand where I bought squash and gourds for more decorating. I'm pretty sure I missed a few things... but it was a full day of fun and accomplishments. 

When I got home I saw the goats doing something weird. 
A gourd plant volunteered in the pasture and grew, and grew, and grew.  The animals all ignored it and it produced about 50 pounds of warty, yellow, gourds.  I will use some to decorate, and give the rest away.  We had a hard frost the night of September 30, and suddenly now the goats find the dying, wilted leaves to be delicious.  They shoved and pushed and fought over the things, and ate every, single one.

Here are just some of the gourds that plant produced.

I used some of them today to decorate the little chicken coop. Everyone decorates their coops, right?  Right?

Dried flowers and gourds, combined to make a pretty scene.

Jane Doe goat watched as I did my decorating.  She is a harsh critic.

Still and all, it was a good day.  Many things were checked off the epic "to do," list. And the critters were happy, too.




No comments: