Thursday, October 12, 2017

Crunch time...

The wedding is three days away. It will be the culmination of 6 months of plotting and planning.  And we have enjoyed it all SO much.  The "to do" list is in good shape, peppered with happy little red check marks.   However, it looks like a party came and threw up all over my dining room...
Stacks of dishes, serving platters and pieces, ruffled dog collars, cases of wine, boxes of bows, bean pots filled with silverware, a big ol' coffee pot, games to play and even... I hesitate to tell you, a donkey pinata.  Yes, it's going to be that kind of a wedding.


Chris took the day off today and smoked 4 enormous hunks of pork. He started early in the morning and finished at dusk. 10 or more hours on the smoker, the yard redolent with the smell of apple wood and slow cooked meat.  He will cook 4 more tomorrow, and I get to enjoy the scent all over again.  We carved a bit of the meltingly tender meat off tonight and tasted it... extraordinary!

And may I say, I'm a little bit proud of my prior planning.  In June I arranged to have the septic tanked pumped so it will be ready for the onslaught of a lot of guests. This is the sort of detail one must be aware of when they live in the country. Tank pumping happened this morning. Let me check one more thing off my list.
I had hoped for a big rain (we have been in a drought all summer) to settle the dust and help make the place smell a bit more fresh. We had that last weekend.  I had hoped for some pretty fall colors.
Got those now, too. And we had hoped the unseasonably warm weather would cool a bit so the hearty meal, cozy fire rings and hot mulled wine we have planned would be appealing. The forecast says we are on track for that.  Could God be smiling on our soiree? If so, he is laughing about this...

Chris tried on his one and only sports coat a week ago. He has lost so much weight it no longer fit.  Since he works in (almost) the city, I suggested he go buy a new one.  Rachel (smart woman that she is) thought she should drive in and go with him, to offer a bit of feminine guidance.  She and I were picturing him in a nice navy blue blazer.  He, on the other hand, gravitated towards this:

She sent me the picture with a text message that said "I told him 'NO' in a firm voice." I raised her well.

Today was my last day of grooming for a bit. Tomorrow I will clean the grooming studio, and get a pre-wedding manicure, and muck out goat and pony cozy and the chicken coops. I have some other things to do, as well, and will, working towards the big day.  All of the efforts are almost at an end, and now the realization is dawning, it's going to be an excellent party. Chris said today, "It's like our  A List of favorite people, all coming together for one day." We are shifting gears from getting ready to getting ready to have a wonderful time with some amazing people.  And Chris will NOT be wearing that ugly jacket. 





No comments: