Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Bare ground and hay...

The ground has been snow covered for several weeks. This means the chickens stay in their coops, the ducks stay very close to theirs, and the hoof stock make paths from the cozy to the water bucket. and then to the feeder, and pretty much stick to those routes.  It's boring for all of us.  Heavy rain last week washed away an astonishing amount of snow and ice, and left great swaths of bare ground. (It also uncovered a lot of manure!)

Today was sunny. The light was lovely in the studio.

And to my great delight the chickens ventured from their coop to explore their good weather haunts in the pasture. It is such fun to see them peck and hunt and scratch. I miss their antics when they are cooped up.
When the sun was high, the goats piled up on the little hill outside the studio to bask and chew their cuds.
Little Abraham joined in. Although the temperature was still chilly as it hovered around 31, it seemed warm compared to recent days.

I have a story to share.  Last fall we bought 100 or so bales of hay and piled them high in the garage.  It was first cut hay, which is not as high quality as second cut.  We got a good price on it, but knew it would not be enough to last the winter.  So, every week or so we go to the local feed store and buy 10 more bales, packing them tightly in the truck bed.  Our goal was to keep the stuff we bought in reserve for bad weather or if the local supply ran low. During the very cold weather of the last few weeks, we splurged and bought some expensive second cut hay.  These bales are the most beautiful hay I have ever seen.  Green and leafy, silky to the touch, they emit a fragrance so delicious I have nearly been tempted to toss some in a pan with some oil and diced garlic and saute it up for supper.  The animals went nuts for it.  When I would put it out they would stuff their nostrils deep in the pile, inhaling joyously, then they would eat, and Eat and EAT.

We fed a lot, making sure they had more than enough food to tide them over during the bitter cold days and nights.  Once the weather moderated a bit, I began giving them the first cut hay again, and they collectively turned their noses up at it, leaving it in the big feeder in the pasture to molder.  They were on strike. I jokingly complained about this to my wise friend Marion. She scolded me, and told me it was silly to feed such high quality fodder to animals who were not working, nor expending much energy.  In fact, she alluded that I might be doing them harm by feeding them high test when they really would be fine on lower octane varieties of hay.  I pouted a little. I enjoy seeing my animals love their food.  But I realized that as (almost) always, she was right.

All day yesterday the feeder was filled with the luscious second cut hay, and they dined happily.  At bed time, when I went out to give them a few flakes to tide them over till dawn, I carried the first cut hay instead.  Chanel saw me coming and left the shed to come snack. She walked gingerly over the iron hard, uneven ground, like an old woman wearing high heels.  I stood and watched her, illuminated by the bright yard lights.  She thrust her pretty head deep into the feeder, and breathed gustily. Then she froze.

Slowly, deliberately, she turned her elegant head in my direction.  She gave me a look that withered me.  Then, she turned her back to me and exhaled with pathetic force. She hung her head in despair.  This morning the hay I had put out was untouched.  She refused to eat a single blade, and instead was rummaging around the frozen pasture, looking for any unnoticed weed left from summer to sustain her.  It was a pathetic.

I caved a little, and fed out a small amount of the coveted hay, mixed in with some of the hay they all disdain. When they realized no more was coming, they managed to choke down the inferior offering.

Sunshine and "starvation" ruled the day.  My animals never cease to amuse me.



No comments: