Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Makeover...

The weeks after Christmas are traditionally quiet for groomers. Many people have their pets primped just before the holiday, and for some people money is tight right after Christmas, plus the weather is often crummy so people think their pets need to keep their fur.  With this in mind I have been planning for months to do a little sprucing up of our work space during the lull.

Rachel and I took Every. Single. Thing. out of the studio. Only the bathtub and a cabinet that is bolted to the wall remained.  We vacuumed the ceiling and walls, washed the walls, baseboards, windows, vent fan filter... everything.  The floor got four scrubbings, plus a good rinse.

I managed to get my 57 year old, overweight, out of shape, self, prone and under the bath tub so I could clean the neglected area under there.  Bravo was amazed to see me there, and literally dove under to join me.  He is an opportunistic face kisser, and had a party there where I could barely fend off his affections.


Next, we touched up the wall and trim paint where it had suffered from every day wear and tear.  Finally, we painted the floor.  The floor paint I put down 4 years ago was lovely.  Sort of a sage green, in the afternoon light it looked like beach glass.  It wore well and we all liked it a lot.  The problem with that particular paint was that it took 4-5 days to cure and dry. I didn't have that much time, so went with a new brand. While we were changing things up, I chose a new color, as well. I based the color choice on a shade of blue in some lovely floral pillows that I had for the rocking chairs.  The color is called something like, "Favorite Jeans," and it does have a soft, faded, denim feel.


Meanwhile, every item from the studio was crammed into my dining room, living room, pantry and front room. And I was expecting a visit from my niece, her husband and much adored toddler daughter.  So things had to change, fast. The moment the second coat of paint was dry, we started hauling stuff back in and reclaiming the house.  Thank heavens for Chris and Rachel, right there to lift and carry and sort and help.


I found this fabulous vintage ironing board at an antique store in Rockland. It has a broad surface to hold the coffee maker, cookie plate, and more, yet offers a narrow foot print. This is a bonus in a room that is a mere 8 feet wide.  It is terrifically sturdy, and I simply had to have it.  A dressing of lace and it was ready to play hostess to guests.

I found these wonderful coffee cups at another place. Not only are they pretty, they feel good in hand. Going with the floral theme, I dug out this old gravy boat to hold coffee stirrers.

I edited out many of little, decorative knick knacks that have accumulated over the past few years, and love how pared down everything looks now.  The antique teachers desk and pine storage chest got a nice rub down with lemon oil.

Orchids love the studio. The angle of the light, combined with the humidity, make them bloom over and over.


I shopped the after Christmas sales and bought a pile of new towels, too.  They match the blue floor almost exactly.


We re-arranged the working end of the studio some, too. This is a work in progress, but a definite improvement.

 Chris gifted me some whimsical crow hooks to hang various tools from. They are a delight.

We sorted through all our work tools and organized everything nicely while we were giving things a face lift.  It feels good to start the year with the work space in good order.

Even the customers are smiling.


No comments: